Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Waking Life

So not to blow up the blog-o-sphere or anything but I also think this would be appropriate to share. It is about about a movie called Waking Life. I would describe it as an animated movie about the nature of consciousness and our perception of what we call "life". It follows this kid who travels through, a city, a dreamworld, it is difficult to tell. However, it touches on a lot of philosophical, psychological and progressive topics about consciousness, awareness, dreams, human nature, etc. It is a very trippy animation that alters and changes based on the scene, the attitude, perception, and awareness of each individual in the scene. It is very well done and raises some very interesting topics for discussion. I have it on my computer and can put it on a flash drive for anyone who wants it. I would also be interested in hosting, or having elsewhere, a showing of the movie sometime and discussing it. Maybe we could rent a room somewhere and watch it together? Or anyone interested could? It wouldn't have to be a whole class thing. Anyway, here is a link to a critique I found. I think it gives a pretty good overview of what it's all about including excerpts from the film. You can also search for it on Youtube and watch a few different clips. It's a little out there but I think it is an awesome movie and highly beneficial. Let me know what you think! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3u6LVHlGTk&feature=fvst

5 comments:

  1. Definitely a worthwhile movie! Thanks for throwing the critique link up, too :)

    Especially for those interested in lucid dreaming, this film is a great mix of trippy and insightful. Ryan, you've seen it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems really interesting!! Would be cool to have a viewing of it sometime and then discuss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie is absolutely worth your time. I'm glad you posted this, Tim. Could I get a copy of the movie from you? I've only watched it on Youtube.

    For those who haven't seen it, I don't want to say too much about it. The movie draws a comparison between lucidity and consciousness in your dreaming state and that of your waking life. It also suggests a new definition of being human--not one under the influence of social constructs, but our subconsciousness, our dreams, our ideas.
    I might also add that it's especially an effective remedy against existential crises. Set aside an hour sometime and watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah what a good film! I saw it ages ago but must rewatch it. I'd be happy to have people over my house to watch it sometime, though I'd need to get the dvd. Maybe we can discuss this in class on Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm down to watch it with you guys.

    ReplyDelete