Saturday, January 29, 2011

Midnight Rider

Hey Guys,

So let me preface this post by stating that this is not as much of a comment, but rather much more of a question that I pose to you all. If you have no interest in reading what I have to write, please feel free to skip down to the bottom of my post and read my question :)

So, during our previous meeting last week, Laura and I shared our opinions on our respective meditations and as well discussed our opinions on Sally Kempton's book. I noted how I loved that the book was broken down into small sections, was written with an introductory language, contained various in-text exercises, and as well was written in a dialouge/conversation formation. By this, I believe that the book is a lot less her talking and lecturing to me, which I find most books to be, but rather her having a talking with me. It is somewhat difficult to explain through typing, but definitely something I noticed.

However, as I shared with Laura, my favorite aspect of her book were the small little quotes sandwiched into the sides of the pages. Even though I was very unfamiliar with many of the authors of the quotes, they each spoke to me and provided deep concepts for thought. In fact, while I was reading, I tended to find myself sitting on a certain page, playing out the entire story line and meaning of the quote through my imagination.

During class, I shared with Laura that my favorite quote, from Sally Kempton's book, was the quote from Rumi, who wrote:

"The spirit is so near that you can't see it!
But reach for it...
Don't be the rider who gallops call night
And never sees the horse this is beneath him"

To me, this quote summarized everything that was the weekend before. As I also discussed with the class, my in-class meditation was very focused about the weekend that I spent with my girlfriend. As she was only visiting for the weekend, I tried to plan everything down to the wire and was always wondering if she was enjoying her time. I never really thought about how I was feeling, or more importantly, just living in the moment and enjoying being in her company. Instead of doing the aforementioned things, I was always one step ahead and was thinking of what next needs to be done. I never really sat back and enjoyed the time we were spending together. My eyes were fixed on the goal and prize, making her happy.

That is why Rumi's quote really speaks to me. He talks about not being the rider who rides through the night, who never acknowledges the horse beneath him. To me, Rumi is talking about really living in the present and really acknowledging your surroundings. Although the goal might be important, it is no where near as important as the process. Another example would be our college experiences. We should not only be focused on graduating, which would be riding through the night to reach our destination, as we should be concerned about meeting new people and trying new things. The experience, and acknowledging the present, is sometimes just as important as the goal. But then again, I could be completely wrong and am way off track on Rumi's quote.

So as promised, here is the question I post to you all: What was/it your favorite quote from Sally Kempton's book? Was there one quote that you enjoyed or made you think more than others? If so, please feel free to share the quote, the page number, and a small explanation about how that quote affects your understanding of everything.

Best,

Ethan

PS: The title of the post, "Midnight Rider" has nothing to do with the post, I just love the song :)

1 comment:

  1. Ethan, your story so resonates with me! It's a perspective that comes to me sometimes; it's very close to the "there it is again" moment-probably a close cousin. I'd just parked in my parent's garage today. It was that quiet moment when I'd just turned off the car. The vibration of the engine had stopped, the whir of the air conditioner had stopped almost leaving an echo in the air. My activities had also stopped for the very short time-being: all of that movement from class to meeting to driving to appointment, etc.-all wonderful, vivacious, rich activity. Yet, sitting there, I found that I was catching myself with the thought: Nina, do you realize this is your life and how precious and wonderful it is? these activities are your life, living expression-celebration now, and you've deceived yourself into thinking they're things to be highlighted off your list. Do you realize you're here now? And in my anxious moments, there's a tiny ripple of anxious despair that no,no,no, I'm not living as though I'm here.I'm doomed to just go and run around some more. And in other moments, like today, I smile and I become that much more silent and still and aware. So that's why I think realizing that my eyes are focused on the goal is such a close cousin to the "there it is again" moment and maybe it's just like how the reaching of Rumi's rider allows him to know he's on his horse now as he's been all along.

    Two lovely quotes from the book:

    pp.112 by Kabir
    Take a pitcher full
    of water and set it
    down on the water-
    now it has water inside
    and water outside.
    We mustn't give it a name,
    lest silly people start
    talking again about
    the body and the soul.

    And another one by Kabir pp.20

    There is a
    Secret One inside us;
    The planets in all the
    galaxies pass through
    his hands like beads.

    With these images I feel such a quality of silence and awe/reverance. (much like what I felt in the garage today) like someone's holding my hand and acquainting a young me with _____. showing me something so pervasive and subtle that my gross perception has been reluctant to slow down and attune to. Like oh, thankyou, so that's where I can find it.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete