Thursday, January 27, 2011

Introduction + Siddha Meditation

Hey Interweb!

As the first post here recommended, an intro post sounds like a cool idea. So here is mine. My name is Roxy. I was born and raised in Boca Raton, FL - aka the retirement capital of the universe, which consists largely of old, Jewish New Yorkers. My father originates from the mystical land of Persia, or Iran as these days have it. He moved to New York from Tehran when he was eighteen to earn a college education. He left just in time before the revolution, after which my whole family slowly trickled in. We are Jewish, and that was (is) pretty unacceptable there since the Revolution.

My mom comes from the good ole Midwest; Bloomington, Illinois. I suppose it was meant to be that I would return to her homeland for college. Why did I leave the nice, warm weather for eternal winters? I dunno. Why did I come to a state which most Floridians regard as "the middle of nowhere"? I dunno. I just wanted something different.

Anyway, enough about demographics. I went to an orthodox Jewish school until age 11 (though my family is Reform). Later, I went to a high school for the arts, where I focused on forensics and creative writing. My inner-spirituality came creeping back after I had emergency brain surgery in freshman year of high school. I was left with headaches and depression a year later. I started with craniosacral therapy to help the headaches. Then did hypnotherapy. Eventually I found myself quite healed, and began using my newfound healing techniques on friends and family. The most amazing thing about it wasn't just how my unlearned techniques actually helped people, but also how it in turn helped me! I decided this alternative, new-age stuff is more than just a fad.

Flash forward to now. I am a psychology and RC creative writing major. I am always pretty confused about what I want to do. Since I was five I have always wanted to write novels. That has not changed. But my most recent venture with psychology finally makes sense - I want to go into alternative healing/behavioral therapy. So yeah, this class is a really great start!

So that is me! I am excited to get to know you all. Hopefully my introduction wasn't too boring and lengthy!

Now for my amazing Thursday night. I went to the Siddha Meditation service tonight with a few of you, and it was brilliant. I want to reflect on what happened at the service, what happened to me, and my thoughts throughout. The service consisted of traditional meditative chanting, wise words, and meditation, plus a giant ball of positive energy floating about.

The first thing which really spoke to me was the talk concerning silence. I felt pangs in my stomach. I have to admit that living in a house with five other girls lends itself to bounds of gossip. Talking behind other people's backs. Saying things which helps no one, and certainly not myself, despite how tempting it is. Since it affected me so emotionally, I resolved to stop it all. If someone starts gossipping I am going to remove myself, and remember what I have been learning recently - that the Self is the strongest, most important side to me, and us all, and focusing on these trivial things only weakens our ability to be in touch with it.

Chanting was a completely new experience for me, and I was shocked at how peaceful, enjoyable, and calming it was. All of our voices in union creating a strange flow of vibrations and energy in the room and inside of me. When we fell into meditation, I was amazed at how automatically I transported myself into my meditative state. I realized I was already in it. With no conscious effort, the chanting put me into a deeper state. That was awesome to experience.

I must go do some homework, but I plan on writing more soon about the meditation and some thoughts going through my mind these days! xo Roxy

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved meditating with you last night! What a wonderful experience. I too find that chanting is an excellent way to nosedive into that meditative state which seems so elusive (to me, at least).

    Thanks for sharing, Roxy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt that ball of positive energy as soon as I entered the room - what a wonderful community of people! Everyone seemed to glow with gentleness and peace. I was truly touched how every new person I saw allowed me to hold their gaze for an extended moment - usually people's eyes dart away in fear or discomfort if you try to look at them. I think I yearn for that sort of contact, the mutual acknowledgement of humanity between two people when they look at eachother silently. It feels like an embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roxy, thanks so much for sharing your story! It sounds like you have a lot of interesting and profound experiences. I would definitely be interested in hearing more about your healing experience (maybe selfishly trying it out for myself) as well. Too bad I missed meditation, I would have liked to join but it totally slipped my mind.

    Laura, I know exactly what you're talking about with eye contact. Sometimes, I have to admit, I look away as well. However, usually I like to make eye contact to see how people react. People usually respond with discomfort but I always enjoy the rarity of acknowledgment and a smile.

    Hope to talk you, and everyone, more and participate in meditation together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's awesome that you want to pursue alternative healing. maybe some of us can come see you when you have your own practice! i totally agree that the mind can be such a powerful healing forcefield and that self-healing is not only possible, but essential. thanks for sharing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete