Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tai Chi

Today I practiced Tai Chi with a friend who is very knowledgeable and experienced and also just an awesome person. He said that one of the main points of the practice was to remind us that we are creatures between heaven and earth. In introducing the different positions, he encouraged me keep the top of my body light, the legs firmly grounded in the earth, and always with a focus on the breath as emanating from the abdomen. This was something new to me - I'd never thought about the fact that it's our diaphragms opening and closing that starts our breath. Nick also explained that it's our center of balance, as well as the place within us where life originated (or at least that the fuel which would fuel life first entered into our body..).

The session was by no means easy - my legs were shaking towards the end. But with practice this will become better. It's nice because it's a slow, graceful movement that you're doing, and it's easy (and important) to line up your breath with your actions. I want to reflect more on this experience and learn more about the practice, but I also want to just continue doing it! So tomorrow night at 8:30 there's a Tai Chi session that takes place at the ICC Education Center, which is located between and behind the Luther Co-op(s) near "The Rock" @ 1510 and 1520 Hill street. As far as I know, it's free and open to all, and I plan on attending. I'd encourage you all to think about coming as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment